‘Freak’ biodiesel explosion sparks fire, destroys barn north of Waterloo
A man was not breaking any rules when a batch of biodiesel he was concocting sparked an explosion and fire that destroyed a big barn near Heidelberg.
"This was a freak thing," Luke Martin said Wednesday.
The 23-year-old was using old vegetable oil, methanol and potassium hydroxide to create cheap fuel Tuesday night in a barn on Benjamin Road. Martin figures he mixed it too soon, which built up pressure, leading to an explosion and fire.
Making biodiesel for your own use is legal.
Read more here: www.therecord.com/news-story/4584481—freak-explosion-sparks-blaze-destroys-barn/